|dc.description.abstract||Taiwan is an island country. Despite of its location, it’s nature for an island country advancing its power over the sea. Looking back to Taiwan history, southern and northern part of Taiwan was ruling by Dutch and Spain in the 16th century, and even later ruled by Zen-chen-gong, Chin Dynasty and Japan; Taiwan has been the center of trading and economy all the time, and flourishing the trading business, commerce, and civil economy radioactively from Taiwan to southern-east Asia, northern-east Asia, Macau and southern part of Fukien Province. Nevertheless, with the advantage of Taiwan’s location and rich past, Taiwan is in perfect condition to expand its ocean business enthusiastically. Taiwan’s future is depended on the sea since its land has been over-used, and has reached its limit. Interact with others countries is more important while facing such an unfamiliar blue continent, so how to manage this broad sea is going to be our government’s first problem encountered after UNCLS III taking effect. In order to solve the problem among our marginal sea, our territory sea has to be defined first. UNCLOS III has created new-fangled orders and laws. To protect our power over the sea and international position, Taiwan should also make law of our own and define marginal sea, continuous zone, EEZ, and continental shelf. Furthermore, for the special occasion between Taiwan and Mainland China and in relation to Law of Taiwan people and Mainland China people’s relationship, providing specific rules for Mainland China’s boats entering restricted water zone is necessary. Moreover, Law of coast patrol is made to maintain order of Taiwan’s coast, to safeguard our resources, to ensure our national security and to guarantee our people’s rights and interests. In all aspects, no matter ecologically, historically, culturally, politically, or economically, Taiwan is closely linked to the sea. Since Taiwan is an island country, it is important for our people to have correct ideas of lifting our sea power and protecting our sea environment; only that we can build a healthy ocean environment with safe ocean activities and prosperous ocean business which makes Taiwan a high grade sea country.
Plain Sea management strategy:
I. Safeguard sea rights and interest & Ensure country development
1. To know the international developing trend well.
2. Increasing international ocean cooperation
3. Strengthen ocean policy and strategy
4. Complete ocean law enforcement system.
II. Strengthen law enforcement and Keep peace on sea
1. Strengthen Law enforcement over seas
2. Develop sturdy ocean traffic
3. Increase security service on sea
4. Improve capability to safeguard our ocean.
III. Protect ocean environment and Enrich ocean resources
1. Improve capability to solve pollution
2. Protect coast nature
3. Circulate ocean resources’ usage
4. Hasten ocean resource enrichment
IV. Develop environment for sturdy sea business
1. Strengthen shipbuilding business
2. Give an impetus to fishing business
3. Develop ocean technology
4. Expend sea tourism
V. Create ocean culture and Represent Taiwan character
1. Rebuild voyage history
2. Create ocean specialty
3. Keep and spread sea culture
4. Represent Taiwan ocean image
VI. Foster researcher for ocean technology development
1. Strengthen education system on specific talented people
2. Increase technology research and information arrangement
3. Build safe research environment
4. Set ocean technology development into action||en_US|