||Breast cancer incidence and mortality rates haves increased over the years, but due to limitation of current medicines, there were no effective way extending the lives of patients. Although many Chinese ancient books had recorded the benefits of Chinese medicine in terms of cancer treatments by alleviating fever, de-toxication and, eliminating the blood flow by promoting blood circulation, the mainstream medicines still haves not yet approve scientifically their efficacies and use. In this study, we used high-throughput drug screening cytology system (High-throughput Drug Screening System Cytology, HT-DSSC) to screen 60 herbal extracts, and BP004 (The dandelion extract) was the candidate for our study. BP004 was found to inhibit the growth of luminal-A breast cancer cell line MCF-7 by inducing cell apoptosis; however, none of the triple-negative breast cancer cell lines such as MDA-MB 231, HER2-positive breast cancer cell lines MDA-MB-453 and normal mammary epithelial cell H184B5F5/M10 were effected. The extrinsic and intrinsic apoptosis pathways were examined by Western blot. We found that BAX, CASP-7, and FAS proteins were increased in expression while, BCL-2 was decreased expression, indicating cells undergo apoptosis through the intrinsic pathway. Finally, using microarray analysis, genes involved with "cell cycle" and "cellular response to stimulus were also identified". These results indicated that BP004 has is the potential adjuvant drug in the treatment of breast cancer cells. In the future, we will conduct animal experiments, to further confirm the effectiveness of BP004 in the treatment of breast cancer. We use of the technology for high-throughput microarray systems biology to integrate the complex relationships between elements of gene regulation and protein interactions for drug BP004 establish a molecular markers for breast cancer classification.|
||1. Siegel Rebecca, Ward Elizabeth, Brawley Otis, Jemal Ahmedin (2011). "Cancer statistics, 2011". CA: a cancer journal for clinicians 61: 212-236.|
2. Ferlay Jacques, Shin Hai‐Rim, Bray Freddie, Forman David, Mathers Colin, et al. (2010). "Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008". International journal of cancer 127: 2893-2917.
3. Society American Cancer (2014). "Cancer Facts & Figures 2014".
4. Institute. National Cancer. SEER Stat Fact Sheets: Breast Cancer. 2011; Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/breast.html.
5. Siegel Rebecca, Ma Jiemin, Zou Zhaohui, Jemal Ahmedin (2014). "Cancer statistics, 2014". CA: a cancer journal for clinicians 64: 9-29.
6. Hutchinson Lisa (2010). "Breast cancer: challenges, controversies, breakthroughs". Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology 7: 669-670.
7. 衛生福利部. 民國101年主要死因分析. 2014; Available from: http://www.mohw.gov.tw/cht/DOS/Statistic.aspx?f_list_no=312&fod_list_no=2747.
8. 趙大中. 台灣女性近10年來乳癌的發生史為何？. 2009; Available from: http://cisc.twbbs.org/lib/addon.php?act=post&id=1787.
9. Fox Maurice S (1979). "On the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer". Jama 241: 489-494.
10. Institute. National Cancer. Breast Cancer. 2014; Available from: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/breast/.
11. Encyclopedia. A.D.A.M. Medical. Breast cancer. 2012; Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001911/.
12. Nielsen Torsten O, Hsu Forrest D, Jensen Kristin, Cheang Maggie, Karaca Gamze, et al. (2004). "Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma". Clinical Cancer Research 10: 5367-5374.
13. Cheang Maggie CU, Chia Stephen K, Voduc David, Gao Dongxia, Leung Samuel, et al. (2009). "Ki67 index, HER2 status, and prognosis of patients with luminal B breast cancer". Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
14. Goldhirsch A, Wood WC, Coates AS, Gelber RD, Thürlimann B, et al. (2011). "Strategies for subtypes—dealing with the diversity of breast cancer: highlights of the St Gallen International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Early Breast Cancer 2011". Annals of oncology: mdr304.
15. Sotiriou Christos, Pusztai Lajos (2009). "Gene-expression signatures in breast cancer". New England Journal of Medicine 360: 790-800.
16. van′t Veer Laura J, Dai Hongyue, Van De Vijver Marc J, He Yudong D, Hart Augustinus AM, et al. (2002). "Gene expression profiling predicts clinical outcome of breast cancer". nature 415: 530-536.
17. Hu Zhiyuan, Fan Cheng, Oh Daniel S, Marron JS, He Xiaping, et al. (2006). "The molecular portraits of breast tumors are conserved across microarray platforms". BMC genomics 7: 96.
18. Perou Charles M, Sørlie Therese, Eisen Michael B, van de Rijn Matt, Jeffrey Stefanie S, et al. (2000). "Molecular portraits of human breast tumours". Nature 406: 747-752.
19. Sørlie Therese, Perou Charles M, Tibshirani Robert, Aas Turid, Geisler Stephanie, et al. (2001). "Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 98: 10869-10874.
20. Sørlie Therese, Tibshirani Robert, Parker Joel, Hastie Trevor, Marron JS, et al. (2003). "Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100: 8418-8423.
21. Sotiriou Christos, Neo Soek-Ying, McShane Lisa M, Korn Edward L, Long Philip M, et al. (2003). "Breast cancer classification and prognosis based on gene expression profiles from a population-based study". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100: 10393-10398.
22. Goldhirsch Aron, Glick John H, Gelber Richard D, Coates Alan S, Senn Hans-Jörg (2001). "Meeting highlights: international consensus panel on the treatment of primary breast cancer". Journal of Clinical Oncology 19: 3817-3827.
23. Holliday Deborah L, Speirs Valerie (2011). "Choosing the right cell line for breast cancer research". Breast Cancer Res 13: 215.
24. Chen Ming Hui, Chuang Michael L, Bornstein Bruce A, Gelman Rebecca, Harris Jay R, et al. (1997). "Impact of respiratory maneuvers on cardiac volume within left-breast radiation portals". Circulation 96: 3269-3272.
25. Huang Da Wei, Sherman Brad T, Lempicki Richard A (2009). "Bioinformatics enrichment tools: paths toward the comprehensive functional analysis of large gene lists". Nucleic acids research 37: 1-13.
26. Da Wei Huang Brad T Sherman, Lempicki Richard A (2008). "Systematic and integrative analysis of large gene lists using DAVID bioinformatics resources". Nature protocols 4: 44-57.
27. 中國醫藥導報. 中醫多法 治療腫瘤. 2011.4; Available from: http://www.chnews2010.com/cmr/2011-4.pdf.
28. Wu Hsing L, Hsu Chen Y, Liu Wen H, Yung Benjamin YM (1999). "Berberine‐induced apoptosis of human leukemia HL‐60 cells is associated with down‐regulation of nucleophosmin/B23 and telomerase activity". International journal of cancer 81: 923-929.
29. Hengartner Michael O (2000). "The biochemistry of apoptosis". Nature 407: 770-776.
30. Efferth Thomas, Li Paul CH, Konkimalla Venkata S Badireenath, Kaina Bernd (2007). "From traditional Chinese medicine to rational cancer therapy". Trends in molecular medicine 13: 353-361.
31. Cohen Isaac, Tagliaferri Mary, Tripathy Debu. Traditional Chinese medicine in the treatment of breast cancer. in Seminars in oncology. 2002. Elsevier.
32. Wang Sun-Chong (2013). Western Biomedicine and Eastern Therapeutics: An Integrative Strategy for Personalized and Preventive Healthcare. 2013: World Scientific Publishing Company.