||With the rapid advancement in information technology, hardware provided by vendors changes at an ever increasing pace. However, information systems, especially the mission critical ones, often does not follow the vendor’s product life cycle. Therefore, many companies are faced with the high cost of IT maintenance fee and performance bottleneck. Company CIO are hard pressed to make a decision, whether to replace the system, or continue to pay the continuously increasing maintenance costs and take the risk of hardware failure. System upgrades may seem to be the best way out. However, it may result in a whole new set of problems, especially for companies with mission critical applications. In this context, legacy application software has a compatibility problem with the new hardware system, while replacing the applications in tandem with hardware upgrades is a lengthy and high risk process. In addition, often times, the developers of the legacy systems are no longer available, resulting in software orphans. As such, many companies choose to continue to pay increasing maintenance fees to keep the system operation smoothly.|
This study looks into the problem of Company T, which is faced with the legacy system replacement problem. A proposal is made to take an alternative route, adopting a "third way" of system upgrade. The new solution is based on the new virtualization technology, solving the legacy application compatibility issue and provides a quick and fast way to migration the application. The systems design takes into account issues of high availability and high reliability. The solution not only reduced the IT total cost of ownership, but also provided the rooms for future growths in business requirements. This successful case provides a viable alternative for CIO facing similar problems.
1. Bozman, J. S. and Randy Perry (2012), Server Transition Alternatives : A Business Value View Focusing on Operating Costs, IDC, #231528.
2. Devine, T. (2008), Replacing a Legacy System, Rich Consulting LLC..
3. HP, (2011), HP-UX Containers – An introduction to the products and features of HP-UX Containers, Hewlett-Packard Development Company, 4AA3-4845ENW.
4. HP, (2010), Transition Your SAP Landscape from HP 9000 to HP Integrity Servers – A Smart and Safe Move, Hewlett-Packard Development Company, 4AA3-0019ENW.
5. HP, (2008), HP ARIES – Technical overview, references and success stories, Hewlett-Packard Development Company, v2.4.
6. HP, (2012a), Strengthen your mission-critical infrastructure – Transition from HP 9000 to HP Integrity servers and HP-UX 11iv3, Hewlett-Packard Development Company, 4AA0-5390ENW.
7. HP, (2012b), HP 9000 Containers – Simplifying HP 9000 to HP Integrity Transition, Hewlett-Packard Development Company, HP 9000 Containers Overview and v3 update.
8. Intel, (2013), Updating IT Infrastructure – Four Steps to Better Performance and Lower Costs for IT Managers in Midsize Business, Intel Corporation, 329956-001.
9. Kovari, A. and Dukan P. (2012), "KVM & OpenVZ virtualization based IaaS Open Source Cloud Virtualization Platforms: OpenNode, Proxmox VE," 2012 IEEE 10th Jubilee International Symposium on Intelligent Systems and Informatics (SISY), 20-22 Sep. 2012, pp. 335-339.
10. Levitt, T. (1965), "Exploit the Product Life Cycle," Harvard Business Review, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 81-94.
11. Moon, Y. (2005), "Break Free from the Product Life Cycle," Harvard Business Review, Vol. 85, No. 5, pp. 86-94.
12. Nugent, M. (2012), Modernize legacy systems or replace them: The debate continues, Micro Focus International plc.
13. Newcomb, P. (2007), Think Outside the COSTS, The Software Revolution, Inc.
14. Perry, R. (2012), Server Refresh Cycles: The Costs of Extending Life Cycles, IDC, #1356.
15. Scaramella, J. and Randy Perry (2012), Business Value of Blade Infrastructures, IDC, #227508R2.
16. ViSolve Migration Team, (2011), Application Migration from PA-RISC to HP Integrity Using HP 9000 Containers, ViSolve Inc.
17. Zheng, C. and Carol Thompson (2000), "PA-RISC to IA-64: Transparent Execution, No Recompilation," IEEE Computer, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 47-52.
1. 林國平、洪育忠、蕭志同 (2008)，行銷資訊系統，第二版，東華書局。
2. 吳明泉 (2013)，資訊系統發展簡介 - SA&D系統分析與設計。
3. 梁定澎 (2006)，決策支援系統與企業智慧，再版，智勝文化。
1. Wikipedia(2015a), "Operating-system-level virtualization," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating-system-level_virtualization, (2015/04/19)
2. Wikipedia(2015b), "HP 9000," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_9000, (2015/04/19)
3. Wikipedia(2015c), "HP-UX," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-UX, (2015/04/19)
4. HP(2015), "HP 9000 Containers," https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HP9000-Containers, (2015/04/26)