||Lately, the global LCD TV market has entered the mature stage of the product life cycle, resulting in sharp decline in shipments of LCD TV sets. In addition, the rise of smart mobile devices, also results in advanced TV applications becomes mostly obsolete for consumers. Thus, “price” becomes the main factor of consumer purchases. The upmarket Japanese brand owners misjudged the situation, still insist on high prices, leading to huge losses in market share.|
One of the main businesses of company H is LCD TV ODM (original design and manufacturing). It used to partner mostly with Japanese TV brands. Due to the loss in market share, the Japanese brands transferred most of the LCD TV manufacturing back to their in-house production facilities. Hence, company H started to take ODM orders from Korean and Chinese second-tier brands, with reduced profit margins.
The Japanese brands value highly on the management of TV control software, and established sophisticated issue tracking systems for software development. Company H was required to use these systems. However, the Korean and Chinese second-tier brands are not that serious on managing software development, and do not have their issue tracking systems. Company H, without issue tracking system and low in budget, had to rely on Excel files and e-Mails to handle issue tracking. Hence, there is a serious gap in straightening software development issues, and result in delays in development time.
This study proposed to reengineer the process of software issue tracking. In accordance with functional requirements and cost constraints of company H, Google Sites, which is a Wiki-based tool, was selected as the collaboration platform. Proof of concept was conducted to ensure technical feasibility. The proposed improvement is expected to eliminate an average of 9.7 days in delay in time to market.
1. Beyerlein, M.M., Freedman, S., McGee, C., & Moran, L. (2003). Beyond teams: Building the collaborative organization. Jossey-Bass/Pfeiffer.
2. Durao, F., & Dolog, P. (2014). Improving tag-based recommendation with the collaborative value of wiki pages for knowledge sharing. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 5(1), 21-38.
3. Herrick, D. R. (2009). Google this!: using Google apps for collaboration and productivity. In Proceedings of the 37th annual ACM SIGUCCS fall conference: communication and collaboration (pp. 55-64). ACM New York.
4. Itkonen, J., Mäntylä, M. V., & Lassenius, C. (2013). The role of the tester′s knowledge in exploratory software testing. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 39(5), 707-724.
5. Johnson-Lenz, P., & Johnson-Lenz, T. (1990). Rhythms, Boundaries, and Containers: Creative Dynamics of Asynchronous Group Life. Awakening Technology.
6. Kumaresh, S., & Baskaran, R. (2010). Defect analysis and prevention for software process quality improvement. International Journal of Computer Applications, 8(7), 42-47.
7. Myers, G. J., Sandler, C., & Badgett, T. (2011). The art of software testing. John Wiley & Sons.
8. Neyem, A., Ochoa, S. F., & Pino, J. A. (2011). A patterns system to coordinate mobile collaborative applications. Group Decision and Negotiation, 20(5), 563-592.
9. Odeh, S., & Ketaneh, E. (2007). Collaborative working e-learning environments supported by rule-based e-tutor. International Journal of Online Engineering, 3(4), 20-26.
10. Oladipo, O. F., Onyesolu, M. O., & Amadi, C. F. (2012). Implementing a Model of Virtual Collaborative Planning System. International Journal of Science and Technology, 2(8), 551-555.
11. Schaffers, H., Brodt, T., Pallot, M., & Prinz, W. (2006). The Future Workplace-Perspectives on Mobile and Collaborative Working. Telematica Instituut, The Netherlands.
12. Stellman, A., & Greene, J. (2005). Applied software project management. O′Reilly Media, Inc..
13. Tay, K. L., & Quek, G. C. L. (2015). Exploring web–based design and technology lessons in lower secondary classrooms: a case study. International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments, 3(1), 1-19.
14. Teeter, R., & Barksdale, K. (2009). Google Sites and Chrome For Dummies. John Wiley & Sons.
1. 李復孝、馬維銘、趙善中 (2009)。以架構導向改善軟體測試管理模型之研究，資訊管理展望，第11卷，第7期，73-93。
2. 林信慧、黃明祥 (2002)。軟體專案管理研究架構及趨勢，資訊管理研究，第4卷，第1期，31-64。
3. 林信慧、黃明祥、王文良 (2005)。軟體專案管理，智勝文化事業有很公司。