In recent years, a number of cation types for ionic liquids have been developed, but still by far the most commonly used are imidazolium cations. As a consequence, most of the ionic liquid crystals studied so far are based on imidazolium as well. For those reasons, we try to design a series of new structures, containing benzenaminium, which exhibit the mesomorphic properties
In this two series , new compounds were prepared and their mesomorphic properties were investigated. All compounds were characterized by 1H and 13C-NMR spectroscopy. The phase behaviors of these mesogenic compounds were characterized and studied by polarized optical microscope (POM) and differential scanning calorimeter (DSC).
In series I, ten new series of the structures containing benzenaminium with different types of anions (chloride ,tetrafluoroborate , hexafluorophosphate ). Compounds 1a exhibits wider range of calamitic phases than compound 1b and 1c . Compounds 2a, 2b, 2c and 3a exhibit columnar mesogen behaviour. Compounds 3b and 3c did not exhibit liquid crystal behaviour due to their bulkier counterions. Compounds 4a did not exhibit liquid crystal behaviour due to the bulkier cation.
In series II, eleven new series of the structures containing benzenaminium were prepared. Compounds 1d and 4d exhibits calamitic phases. Compounds 2d and 3d (n = 8 、12) exhibit columnar mesogen behaviour. Compounds 1e can be used for ionic dopant in the dynamic scattering experiment.
1. P. J. Collings, M. Hird, 楊怡寬, 郭蘭生 and 鄭殷立, 液晶化學及物理入門, 2001
2. H. T. Nguyen, C. Destrade and J. Malthete, Adv. Mater. 1997, 9, 375-388.
3. Eugene Kwan, Evans Group Seminar, 2009.
4. Richard P. Matthews, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014, 16, 3238
5. N.V. Plechkova, K.R. Seddon, Chem. Soc. Rev., 2008, 37, 123-150
6. Alireza Moheghi, Hossein Nemati, Yannian Li, Quan Li, Deng-Ke Yang ,Optical Materials, 2016, 52, 219-223
7. Lewis M. Antill, Manuel M. Neidhardt, Jochen Kirres, Stuart Beardsworth, Markus Mansueto, Angelika Baro & Sabine Laschat, Liquid Crystals, 2014. 41, 976-985
8. Andrew L. Rohl and D. Michael P. Mingos , J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans. 1992, 3541-3552
9. Jerzy Leszczynski, Manoj K. Shukla ,Practical Aspects of Computational Chemistry II：An Overview of the Last Two Decades and Current Trends, 2012
10. Amalia Pana, Florentina L. Badea, Monica Ilis, Teodora Staicu, Marin Micutz, Iuliana Pasuk ,Viorel Circu , Journal of Molecular Structure, 2015, 1083, 245-251
12. Bertrand Donnio† and Duncan W. Bruce, J. Mater. Chem., 1998, 8, 1993–1997
13. Paul H. J. Kouwer and Timothy M. Swager, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 14042-14052
14. Ko-Ting Cheng, Po-Yi Lee, Malik M. Qasim, Cheng-Kai Liu, Wen-Fa Cheng and Timothy D. Wilkinson, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8, 10483−10493