||The stock market conforms to the Efficient Market Theory. Stock prices eventually reflect the real value of companies. Two models of investment decision making, which are Value Investing style and Growth Investing style, are discussed and compared in this study. Morningstar, an internationally well-known investment research institution and authoritative mutual fund rating agency, also lists two factors that affect the performance of mutual funds for stocks or portfolios of mutual funds. The method gives a conscientious investment style to investment classification and fund tracking criteria, which drives this study to distinguish the level of returns between value stocks and growth stocks by a matrix with nine squares, the Style Box.|
In Taiwan, in terms of style classification, there seems to be little specific information for investment style. With diverse development of modern investment products and great progress of information technology, the “Quantification Method” is employed for investment analysis in practice to construct a strategic portfolio or a long-short dynamic portfolio. It is considered that such a method may become the trend of future quantitative modules. This study deduces to quantitative modules and the contemporarily well-known investment genius. The value factors and the scale factors commonly used in investment are applied and the classification model for stocks or funds used by the well-known Morningstar is employed to classify the domestic companies listed on TSE in the past three years according to the X and Y-axises of the Style Box, a matrix with nine squares, divided by scale and style. The average return rates of the stocks in the nine squares, including value companies, core companies and growth companies with small, medium and large scales of portfolios, respectively, can be used as the reference to analyze the characteristics of investment style of Taiwan stocks. The followings are found empirically:
1. In Taiwan, value stocks slightly outperformed growth stocks for the past three years, which appears to be similar to the result that performance of value stocks is superior to that of growth stocks, as shown in some of foreign literature. However, it does not conflict with the result that performance of growth stocks is superior to that of value stocks shown in other foreign literature. The main reason is that the difference of periods makes the divergence.
2. During the period under study, the return of value stocks is superior to that of growth stocks. However, the level of outperformance is tiny and the difference between returns is very small, so these can determine the consistency. The main reason is that returns of Taiwan stocks for the past three years are traced by a short-term (one year) performance. Furthermore, Taiwan stock market is a shallow-plate market with high volatility. Under the circumstances of a shorter period or higher volatility, growth stocks may yield a better performance. When we probe the reason, we find that Taiwan stocks for the past three years directly present that the Taiwan stocks’ embedded value of the capital market has been emerging because of the macroeconomic environment and the business cycle. The final factor that controls stock prices is the trend of economic benefits. Stock prices of companies will eventually reflect their real value in the long term, which conforms to the Efficient Market Theory.
1. 王琮瑜 (民84)，共同基金的類型、規模與其操作績效關係之研究，國立交通大學管理科學研究所碩士論文。
2. 林文修 (民91)，第五屆價值投資法為基礎的投資選股模型之研究，頁 111-121。
3. 林柏均 (民96)，資產管理月刊CMoney法人投資決策支援系統，大中小型股之超額報酬分析-以台灣股市為例。
4. 吳香蘭 (民91)，台灣地區股票型共同基金相關性預測模型之研究，國立高雄第一科技大學財務管理研究碩士論文。
5. 吳璟昇 (民85)，價值型與成長型股票投資績效之研究－以台灣股票市場為例，國立 政治大學財務管理研究所碩士論文。
6. 陳炳璋 (民90)，國內開放式股票型基金流量影響因素之探討，國立中山大學企業管理研究所碩士論文。
7. 陳麗蓉 (民94)，股票基金投資風格、績效及規模變化之實證研究東吳大學會計系研究所碩士論文。
8. 黃金恩 (民77)，股票分析與投資策略之研究,，輔仁大學管理學研究所碩士論文。
9. 黃嘉斌 (民97)，基本面選股：成長股、價值股、轉機股與投資分析 頁15-28 。
10. 黃嘉斌 (民97)，Smart智富月刊 2月號/第 114期 ; 3月號/第115期，專欄。
11. 鄭義與湯雲鶴 (民93)，貨幣觀測與信用評等-台股多因子模型之建構。
12. 駱秉容 (民88)，(譯者)；原文作者：Christopher Graja ，Elizabeth Ungar輕鬆投資小型股-成長股與價值股投資祕訣。
1. Babson, David L. (1951). The Case of Growth vs Income Stocks on a Yield Basis, Weekly Staff letter, September, pp. 17.
2. W.Scott Bauman, C. Mitchell Conover, and Robert E.Miller (1998), “Growth versus Value and Large-Cap versus Small-Cap Stocks in International Markets,” Financial Analysts Journal, March/April, pp75-89.
3. Buffett, Warren Edward (1992), “Information Analysis,” Journal of Portfolio Management, Spring, pp.14-21.
4. Capaul, C.and Rowley, I. and Sharpe,W. (1993), “International Value and Growth Stock Returns,” Financial Analysts Journal, Janury/February, pp.27-36.
5. Chan, L. and Hamao,Y. and Lakonishok, J. (1991), “Fundamentals and Stock Return in Japan,” Journal of Finance, 46, pp.1739-1764
6. Elton, E. J., and Gruber, M. J. (1991), “Differential Information and Timing Ability,” Journal of Banking & Finance 15, 117-131.
7. Fama, Eugene and Kenneth French (1992), “The Cross-section of Expected Stock Returns,” Journal of Finance, 47, pp. 427-465
8. Fama, Eugene, and Kenneth French (1995), “Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns,” Journal of Finance, vol. 50, pp. 131-155.
9. Graham, Benjamin (1996), The Intelligent Investor: A Book of Practical Counsel, 4th rev. ed., Harper Collins Willow.
10. Graham, Benjamin (1940), Security Analysis: The Classic 1940; Natl Book Network.
11. Granger, C. W. J. and Morgenstern, O. (1963) “Spectral Analysis of New York Stock Market Prices,” Kyklos, Vol. 16, pp.1-25.
12. Hagstrom, Robert. G (2004), “The Warren Buffett Portfolio Mastering The Power of The Focus Investment Strategy” , John Wiley Sons Inc . pp.66-98,
13. Hagstrom, Robert.G (2004), “The Warren Buffet Way，”John Wiley Sons Inc, pp.45-46.
14. Kaplan, S. N. and Ruback, R. S. (1995), “The Valuation of Cash Flow Forecast: An Empirical Analysis,” Journal of Finance, 50, pp. 1059-1093.
15. Lakonishok, J., Shleifer, A. and Vishny, R. (1994), “Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,” Journal of Finance, 49, pp.1541-1578.
1. 網址：http://www.richmall.com.tw/newrich/invest/invest.asp (RichMall), 2008年5月。
2. 網址：ttp://cn.morningstar.com, 2008年5月。
3. 網址：http://www.funddj.com, 2008年5月。
4. 網址：http://tw.morningstar.com, 2008年5月。
5. 網址：http://www.polarispmax.com, 2008年5月。
6. 網址：http://www.nitc.com.tw, 2008年5月。
7. 網址：http://www.taiwanpage.com, 2008年5月。
8. 網址：http://www.polarispmax.com, 2008年5月。
9. 網址：http://www.nitc.com.tw, 2008年5月。
10. 網址：http://www.taiwanpage.com , 2008年5月。
11. 網址：http://www.tej.com.tw/twsite, 2008年5月。
12. 網址：http://www.tse.com.tw/ch/index.php, 2008年5月。